far_malloc for SCO Xenix

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 9 03:28:39 AEST 1989

Does anyone have working equivalents to far_malloc() and far_free() for
SCO Xenix 286?

I tried taking the memory manager given in K & R and patching it to use
brkctl(). So far I have not made it work. The problem appears to be in
the comparison of unnormalized far pointers.

In lieu of working code for a far_malloc(), I would appreciate
suggestions on how to convert the K & R memory manager (or some other
readily available "malloc") to handle far pointers.

Is there any good reason why there is not such a routine in the C
library for SCO Xenix? MSC and Turbo C both provide these so it is
apparently possible.

E H. Kinmonth, Hist. Dept.,  Univ. of Ca., Davis Davis, Ca. 95616
916-752-1636/0776

Disclaimer:  This is AmeriKa!  Who needs a disclaimer!

Internet:  ehkinmonth at ucdavis.edu
           cck at deneb.ucdavis.edu
BITNET:    ehkinmonth at ucdavis
UUCP:      {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ehkinmonth
           {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!cck