USERFILE, can this be true?

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Wed Jan 25 14:59:58 AEST 1989

In article <151 at bms-at.UUCP> stuart at bms-at.UUCP (Stuart Gathman) writes:
>After years of trying to use the userid field in /usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE,
>I finally figured out what it is.  It appears to be the userid of
>the person initiating the request on the *remote* machine....
>Is this true?

No, it's not. The userid field is always relative to the local machine. But it
is much more complex than you probably suspect.

Save yourself a lot of sweat and either lay your hands on a copy of the 4.3BSD
man page for USERFILE (I can mail it to you if you want), or buy a copy of Tim
O'Reilly's book _Managing_UUCP_and_Usenet_. Both have accurate descriptions of
how USERFILE works.

<csg>