COMPAQ Streamer (Wangtek 135 Mb) wont work under XENIX 2.3 386

Super user root at blender.UUCP
Mon Jan 2 03:44:10 AEST 1989

In article <1887 at netmbx.UUCP>, felix at netmbx.UUCP (Felix Gaehtgens) writes:
> i'm having problems with the WANGTEK 135Mb Streamer from COMPAQ. I am using
> SCO's 2.3 XENIX for the COMPAQ 386-16.
> When using the command tape erase or tape rewind it *seems* to do the job.
> But using tar won't work (the streamer drives the tape around a bit and then it hangs).

I've installed several Wangtek 60Meg's in compaq's and Wyse '386s with a great
amount of pain and aggravation.  All these machines run SCO 2.2.3 but I
don't imagine the problem is a difference between 223 and 231.  The problems
I've found are mainly interrupt related and/or base-address.  The default
interrupts that the WangTek controller comes with are generally undesirable
for a xenix machine.  I'm not sure off-hand what the interrupts were that
I finally ended up with but it was mostly trial and error.  The Wyse'386 was
a particularly nasty one since WangTek themselves said it couldn't be done and
Wyse said they had never heard of anyone installing a WangTek in their machine.
After about 4 hours of mucking around with interrupts and base-addresses the
thing finally worked and has been doing so for about 8 months now.

  In summary, try changing the jumpers on the controller and then "mkdev tape"
with the appropriate changes until it works or you exhaust all possibilities.