Xenix mail system

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.FSC.COM
Thu Jan 26 02:19:56 AEST 1989

In article <694 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

> I envison something like:
>
> 	Elm -----.			  .----------> uux
> 		 |			  |
>       uuxqt -----+-----> smail,rmail -----+
> 	         |			  |
>     recmail -----'			  `----------> deliver
>
> Where Elm, recmail, and uuxqt are the entry points into mail for users,
> news, and uucp respectively; and uux and deliver are the delivery agents
> for uucp and local mail respectively.

This setup should prove to be very useful and robust, and since you would
have the source for nearly all of it (probably not the uucp stuff), you
would have complete control over what it does.  The fact that all the
behavior of the SCO mail system is not documented is my biggest problem with
it.

> I've also recently brought up TCP/IP here, and would possibly like to add
> SMTP to this at some point.  Hopefully, the coming-reeel-soon-now version
> of smail will support the hooks for this.

smail3 supports everthing. period. If it's not in the default configuration,
you can add it using run-time configuration files.  It took only five minutes
to write the entries for sending mail across micnet links, which was not in the
default configuration.  With all of the flexibilty built-in to smail3, you can
do anything you want to with your mail.

> Hey Chip ... what does your mail setup look like?

I would bet it either looks like the picture you drew, or something similar
with smail3 in the middle.

--jim