Terminal and printer on 1 modem

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.UUCP
Sun Jan 1 10:39:02 AEST 1989

In article <178 at loft386.UUCP> sdg at loft386.UUCP (Steve Goodrich) writes:
> I have an interesting problem:  I need a way to use both a printer
> and a terminal on one modem.  Multiplexers and stat-muxes are too
> expensive, so those items are out.  I'm using Xenix System V, version
> 2.2.3 on an 80386 clone.  We are using an Arnet Multi-port board with
> 4 serial ports on it, and we have one other serial port available on
> the machine.
> This, then, is the problem:  we need her to have both a terminal and a
> printer at home.

I don't know about the Arnet board, but the Wyse700 subsystem drivers
include the capability to use the port both for terminal and printer.
You can then define a printer that uses the alternate device on that
port.  It may be that this is directly tied to the Wyse products and
requires a Wyse terminal at the other end.  I haven't actually used it.
However, Wyse and other manufacturers often have a "pass-through" or
"transparent" print to the AUX port on the terminal that is enabled and
disabled with a simple escape sequence.  Just write a print spooler
script that sends those sequences out to the port.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.
:  {coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!mrspoc!itkin