WD ESDI cont'lers. Was (Re: Xenix compatibility with ESDI controllers.)

Roe Peterson roe at unibase.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 19:39:36 AEST 1989

>From article <18383 at conexch.UUCP>, by root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera):
> In article <368 at merk.UUCP> brennan at merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:
>>
>>I am going to get some more disk storage, but instead of buying an
>>additional disk of the same type I currently have, I'd like to get an
>>ESDI disk. I'm running 386 Xenix 2.2.1, and it would be nice to not
>>have to upgrade to their ESDI version, which (according to their docs)
>>only handles 1024 cylinders.
[deleted]
> You're right about the WD1007's translation capability; It can make an
> ESDI drive look like a 17-sectored ST506.
>
> The WD1007A-WAH and WD1007A-WA2 are 16-bit ESDI Hard and Hard/Floppy
> controllers respectively.  They support 1:1 interleave and come with
> BIOS extension ROM. The WD1007A-WAH has a retail price of $320 and the
> WD1007A-WA2 retails for $350.  I can get them for $249 and $279.
>
> If you want one, you can give me a call...

MARKETING!!! ON USENET!!! Naughty, Naughty.

Anyhow, we are currently running an Adaptec ESDI controller on our
386 (used to be in a 286 - no problem moving up).  It completely fools
the computer - looks just like an ST506 controller.  When the system
boots, the adaptec bios messes with something (probably the cmos ram)
and xenix has no problem using the disk.  Incidentally, we are running
a Maxtor XT380-E (1224 cylinders).

(It supports all features mentioned above, and formats normal ESDI drives
for 36 sectors - extra storage).

The transfer rate is something to behold.  No changes, no mods, no
nothing to xenix (or (ugg) dos).

The board includes a floppy controller, BTW.

Unit is model ADB2322 from:
	Adaptec, Inc. 580 Cottonwood Drive
	Milpitas, CA 95035
	(408) 432-8600

--

                                  Roe Peterson
                                  uunet!attcan!utgpu!tmsoft!mcl!unibase!roe