AT&T 630 terminal - software ??

Walker Mangum walker at ficc.uu.net
Mon Jan 23 23:34:57 AEST 1989

In article <386 at bilver.UUCP>, bill at bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) writes:
| In article <2792 at ficc.uu.net> walker at ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) writes:
| >In article <379 at bilver.UUCP>, bill at bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) writes:
| >>
| >> A PC doesn't seem smart enought to be able to walk and chew gum at the same
| >> time. :-)  By that I mean that the PC doing 9600bps can't do a decent vt100
| >
| >No, the truth is, Xenix 2.2.2 and Smarterm are just very slow gum-chewers.
| >
| >  [ ... ]
| >
| >now using a 16Mhz 386 clone, and are demonstrating REAL throughput of 115.2k.
| >That's using a standard PC asynch adapter.
| >

| Now - about your program - you didn't mention any names.  And if I am somewhat
| typical there are other who probably want to know what/where/how-much?
|
| It need to be able to do transparent print to an attached pc, just like a
| vt100.  Can it do it?  Where can I find more information on this program.
| Boards in the '286ers are Computones.  The two '386s I just installed are
| using the Anvil Stallion.  That board is a real performer.
|
| Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

The software is called "PC Workstation", and it does some real nifty stuff,
like implement a "one-sided" network via the asynch channel, that allows the
host system to access the PC's file system DIRECTLY.  That is, the PC's file
system appears to belong to the host.  Although it was developed for Modcomp
minicomputer hosts, the PC software is not host-specific.  Drivers for any
other host OS could be easily developed.

It does include transparent print, block mode, etc., XMODEM, macro-
programmability and even a full-featured local input line editor.

However, it is a DOS-only product.  There are no plans to port it to XENIX.
If this doesn't turn you off, let me know, and I'll send you a product
bulletin on it.

--
Walker Mangum                                  |  Adytum, Incorporated
phone: (713) 333-1509                          |  1100 NASA Road One