The right name for the 386 unix group

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Mon Jan 30 22:34:46 AEST 1989

In article <ek3ic#1KMWg0=eric at snark.uu.net>, eric at snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> The name 'comp.unix.i386' isn't good enough. Dave Mack was unnecessarily nasty
> but he was right. We don't want the Roadrunner people here, not because we
> dislike them but because the (large) constituency runs AT-bus machines and
> bus structure is an important discriminator. In fact, given the state of
> standardization efforts, it's *more* important than the vendor or UNIX flavor
> (which is why names like comp.unix.sysv.i386.etcetera miss the point).

Not True.  The Sun RoadRunners have an AT-bus.  In any event, SunOS for
the 386i is -- guess what -- UNIX V.4 (or will be within 6 months).  As
a practical matter I'm confident that the Sun folks will continue to use
comp.sys.sun for their problems.  Let's just create the group and avoid
the meta-discussion this time.