bootable floppy: now what?

Felix Gaehtgens felix at netmbx.UUCP
Mon Jan 16 03:12:53 AEST 1989

In article <3700016 at eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>I know this is an RTFM kinda problem, but I can't find it....
>
>Could someone tell me how to make a bootable floppy?

insert an (empty, of course) floppy in your disk drive and type:
mkdev fd
after this, you have a bootable floppy in your drive. BUT: there is no csh, no
ls, rm, cpio, etc. so you should mount the floppy with
mount /dev/fd096ds15 /mnt (assuming you've got a 1.2 meg floppy)
and copy these files to /mnt/bin.
then, you should make a special device entry for your hard disk partition
so that you can mount and fsck it if you have to boot from your floppy. do
this with the command:
mknod /mnt/dev/hdpart b 1 40
then, just sync and umount /dev/fd096ds15.
you then have a "last hope" floppy with which you can try to recover your
hd partition if it won't boot. i once had to "repair" a hard disk partition
of a customer, where the kernel was messed up and did not have anything but
the original N1 boot disk (286). it was nasty work, but i finally suceeded
(after MKNODing a couple of times, running fsck, mount, copying the kernel,
branding the kernel, etc.). this taught me to *always* make a bootable "work
disk" after installing xenix on a computer.

so long,
					felix
BANG: ..pyramid!tub!netmbx!xaos!felix	SMART: felix at xaos.sub