Disk controllers and weird booting rituals.

John Welch jjw at igloo.UUCP
Wed Jan 25 11:27:22 AEST 1989

In article <423 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
.In article <372 at merk.UUCP> brennan at merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:
..
..  I've just upgraded to this WD-1007 ESDI controller, and it has this
..weird boot sequence:
..
..	  Hard reset the machine (i.e. the reset button), and the machine
..	does its RAM scan, etc. I get a "Hard Disk Controller failed"
..	message from (I think) my BIOS. However, if I do a "soft" reset
.
.
.What kind of computer are you running? What BIOS?  It could be a problem
.in the BIOS not recognizing the card correctly.
.
.Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
.Rockville Centre, NY   11570	(516) 766-2867	jbayer at ispi

	We had a similar problem with some 386 motherboards at work - they
would NOT boot unless ctrl-alt-delete was pressed. It *WAS* a BIOS bug,
not the fault of the disk controller. I think we had American Megatrends
bios, but I cannot say just what the rev level was.
	I'd suggest that you try getting a new BIOS upgrade (if available)
and/or try running the controller on a different box (also if available). If
neither of these work, well, good luck.