Word Perfect 5.0 killed my Xenix system!!

Rob Frye rfrye at netxcom.UUCP
Fri Jan 27 23:50:10 AEST 1989

In article <8461 at dasys1.UUCP> tbetz at dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>WARNING!! There may be some serious problems using WP 5.0 under VP/ix!
[details deleted...]
>Nothing.  Blank screen.  Didn't even give me the "Phoenix Bios..."
>message, never got to the disk access part of the process.
>
>I don't know what happened, I can't imagine what WP might have done or
>tried to do.  All I know is, it killed my Wyse 3216.  And I'm not pleased.

I had a Wyse 3216 die on me similarly recently (with just Xenix).  Symptoms
similar at power on, but the LCD display read "02 CMOS Fail" *sometimes*
at that point, and the 3 keyboard LEDs stayed lit entirely.

Turned out that it was the "power good" lead from the motherboard to the
CPU board -- if it isn't connected properly the system thinks it can't boot.
Look for a small wire running from about 3 slots left of the power supply
snaking around to the top, left, front of the CPU board.  Also check
the seating of the boards and the memory bus extension card.  Good luck!!
--
Rob Frye
NetExpress Communications, Inc.		Phone: (703)749-2234