Telebit setup && 386/ix && modem not answering

Guest from Vogelback vcc at eecs.nwu.edu
Sun Jan 22 03:34:39 AEST 1989

I don't have a telebit, but I just recently experienced this problem with
a vanilla 2400 baud modem I was setting up on someone's machine.

His machine had the same problem--everything worked but when uucico was
done for some reason it wasn't calling ungetty to wake login up.

I tried uucico with -x9 and found that when the call was done, uucico
wanted to send some more Hayes codes to the modem.  It was waiting for
the "OK" back from the modem, but since we had disabled result codes it
was timing out.  Unfortunately, it barfed and never called ungetty.

The fix was to configure the modem to send the result codes.  The modem
should not echo the command strings you send it, however.

Rich Skrenta