tunable parameters problem?

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sun Jul 23 00:25:42 AEST 1989

In article <27 at holston.UUCP> barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>I am curious if there is some sort of limit on the number
>of times a single user can open the same file in SCO 2.2.1
>on a 286.
>My problem occurs when the vertical package I developed is
>running with 4+ users doing inquirys in the same masterfile.
>Problem: eventually the system will refuse to open the files
>requested for a particular user, no errors are generated other
>than those in the application.
>Is there some parameter I can adjust? I am nowhere near the
>limit of 300 open files systemwide.
>Since all the users log in under the same name to start the
>application, I suspect that I am bumping into some limit.
>All suggestions appreciated.

You have two problems here.  The first is that you are having multiple
people logging on as the same user id.  This is not a good idea.  There
are internal tables that will get filled up this way, and possible
prevent anybody from logging on in the future.

Your second problem can be solved by increasing the following parameters
by using the /usr/sys/conf/configure program:

Parameter	Description				System default
NINODE		maximum open inodes per file system	   100
NFILE		maximum open files per file system	   100

Try increasing them to 150, then to 200 if you need it.  BTW, where did
you get that figure of 300 for the maximum open files systemwide?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon