Sorry: Micronics & Xenix

Macy Hallock macy at fmsystm.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 09:29:39 AEST 1989

In article <4486 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>Sorry:  Has anyone installed Xenix on a system based on a 25 Mhz
>Micronics (or other Micronics) motherboard?

You bet.  I am using 20mhz non-cached Micronics push (16mhz 386 chip)
boards and they run just fine.  Never tried the caching versoins, but
Micronics told me they work OK, too, and I believe them.

BTW - I chose non-caching to prevent problems with my multiuser RS-232
boards (I was more conservative 10 mo. ago with 386 stuff than I am
now)

>I keep trying to get
>a hold of SCO for information like this, but it's impossible to
>get through, and the salespeople don't return calls in cases of
>mundane (but very important to ME) questions.

And they won't either... I think it very unlikely SCO has tried every
brand of 386 motherboard on the market.  Truly thorough testing is time
consuming and expensive... and the manufacturers keep changing things
on the boards, too.  SCO tests the major brands of assembled systems
and leaves the rest to VARS, integrators and manufacturers.  SCO has
become popular enough that I have talked to several motherboard mfr's
who have taken it upon themselves to test their products with SCO
Xenix (and DOS and Novell).  These are the kind of mfr's I will buy
from in the future!

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy at NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
                                  Your milage may vary.