tunable parameters problem?

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 13:36:07 AEST 1989

In article <27 at holston.UUCP> barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>Please pardon me if this is an obviosly naive question, but
>I am curious if there is some sort of limit on the number
>of times a single user can open the same file in SCO 2.2.1
>on a 286.

>My problem occurs when the vertical package I developed is
>running with 4+ users doing inquirys in the same masterfile.
>Problem: eventually the system will refuse to open the files
>requested for a particular user, no errors are generated other
>than those in the application.
>The files are RM/Cobol indexed data files.

>Is there some parameter I can adjust? I am nowhere near the
>limit of 300 open files systemwide.
>Since all the users log in under the same name to start the
>application, I suspect that I am bumping into some limit.
>All suggestions appreciated.

You are running into the limit on the number of processes an individual user can
have open.  I have seen this before, all users signing on with the same name,
and typically with applications ported from a non Unix/Xenix environment.

Why not write the program so any user can log in under their own name - or
assigned name.  THis is in the spirit of the OS.   If you have to have
permission associated with the users make the program set used id so the user
runs with the effecive id of the program.

You will probably see more problems in the future if they ever want to run
some other applications.  You can adjust the parameter for maxprocs using the
configure option, but you still ought to have the users have individual ids.

bill

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP