File system dump and restoration

barton barton at holston.UUCP
Mon Jul 24 01:45:05 AEST 1989

In article <19 at fmsystm.UUCP>, macy at fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) writes:
> In article <775 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> >On our Altos machines at work we have a utility called "dump.hd" which
> >dumps the entire root filesystem to tape. By using this program on
> >can create a COMPLETE image of the hard drive that can be used to restore
> >a crashed system etc.

As long as you are restoring to a hard disk that is physically identical.

> I have tried to restore SCO systems several times using tar, dd, cpio
> and other methods, with little luck.  This makes upgrading to a new
> hard disk a burdensome task.  SCO is little help.  I suspect this

Here is a short simple backup script I have used several times to
completely backup  my system, once when I upgraded my HD. It was
originally published in U/World. restoring went without a hitch!
:
#  @(#)	bufull Full Backup Utility (no special files)
#
date > /usr/bin/lastbackup
find / -type f -print >/tmp/bu.files
tar cvF6 /tmp/bu.files  # 6 means /dev/rct0
rm -f /tmp/bu.files

Thanks Rich! (to restore, login  as root and type "tar xv6")
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton at holston.UUCP