Caching disk controllers and 386 multiprocessor

Rick Farris rfarris at serene.UUCP
Sat Jun 17 13:08:21 AEST 1989

In article <10870 at nuchat.UUCP> steve at nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> There are exceptions to the general rule that more main memory for
> the unix block cache beats caching controllers and ram disks.

I've been watching this discussion for several days now, and I've
noticed that no-one has mentioned the biggest advantage of the DPT
controller:  It has an on-board computer!  We're talking
multi-processing, folks.  The main cpu can write to the controllers
cache, and then the cpu on the controller can do the elevator writes,
etc, *at the same time the main cpu is doing other things.*

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris at serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757