Equinox Megaport serial boards

Gary Blumenstein garyb at gallium.UUCP
Mon Jun 19 20:18:56 AEST 1989

  In article <8367 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US> jonm at killer.Dallas.TX.US writes:
 > [ ...asking questions regarding the Equinox boards, (stuff deleted)]
 > [...]
 > Also, what does it mean to say that the card "can support 16MHz bus speeds"?
 > I thought that AT-compatible bus speed is 8MHz...

Some buses on various 386 motherboards are tunable to run faster than 8Mhz.
Mine runs at 10Mhz (I believe) and even has a separate "bus" crystal in
addition to the CPU crystal.

The problem arises when you use peripherals which have been designed to run on
an 8Mhz AT bus.  They can freak out and not work properly when used in a
faster bus.  This has happened to me.

 > Has anyone actually installed one of these cards into a production system?
 > If so, how many users, modems, printers, etc.  and what performance have you
 > observed?  Does it work with VP/ix and DOS Merge?  How much does card cost?

Mr.  Lukas has told me that the Equinox board has been tested in the faster
bus as well as with VP/ix, terminals, various applications and the like.  He
tends to give products such as this a gorilla test, then reports problems to
the product development departments.  He did this with Computone for years.  I
would have been willing to bet that he knew more about their products than
their own Engineers.  (no exaggeration here!)

Without trying to sound like an Equinox salesmen, I have been told that anyone
with questions regarding these boards is welcome to call him to get more info.
(Tel # 1203-665-1355)

Disclaimer:  We use Continental as our vendor for SCO products and services
however, the recent postings regarding the Equinox boards DO NOT, in any way,
represent the policy or opinions of CIBA-GEIGY Corporation.

- Gary

--
Gary Blumenstein, UNIX Systems Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY CORPORATION, USA