Simple disk benchmark results

Greg Limes limes at sun.com
Fri Jun 23 09:29:21 AEST 1989

In article <9468 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

   Test results from*:

   /bin/time dd if=/dev/disk_block_device  of=/dev/null bs=4k count=2000

   Sys      Opsys        Drive    Inter   Systime    KBytes/sec
   Sun      SunOS                 Sync     5.1       516*
   3/80                           SCSI

   Sun      SunOS                 "        4.2       550
   Spark/1

   Sun      SunOS                 "        2         521
   4/110

   DEC      Ultrix                SCSI               150
   3100

Gee, any reason you put the Dec3100 down below the Sun stuff? I guess
that the async SCSI hits their performance pretty bad. Does it support
Sync SCSI at all? (I would not mind seeing performance info on this)

Anyway, here are a couple more numbers ... I unmounted a couple of
partitions that I have not yet loaded with data, and ran the test
on them. The system is running unmodified "SunOS 4.0.3 EXPORT" with
tuned file systems ("tunefs -a 32767 -d 0"); I quadrupled the transfer
size as recommended in the earlier article ... even so, we really
only get a little over one digit of precision.

   Sun      SunOS     sd4c      Sync       3.3      1300    (block)
   SPARC/330          rsd4c     SCSI       2.0       700    (char)

   Sun      SunOS     xd0h      SMD        2.9      1700    (block)
   SPARC/370          rxd0h                2.0       900    (char)

   Sun      SunOS     id001c    IPI        2.7      1900    (block)
   SPARC/390          rid001c              2.2      1200    (char)

(Minor Nits: its "Sun", not "SUN"; "SunOS", not "SUN OS"; and "SPARC",
not "Spark"; not that I particularly care, but the information may be
of interest. Makes you seem more authoratative when you get the names
right.)

-- Greg Limes [limes at sun]
   A Happy Engineer with a SPARCstation 370 under his desk :-)
--
Greg Limes	limes at sun.com	...!sun!limes	73327,2473	[chose one]