init's untimely death.

Larry Pajakowski larry at tapa.uucp
Wed Jun 21 21:45:06 AEST 1989

Perhaps someone can shed some light on a perplexing problem we are having.
We have a Compaq 386/20 running Xenix-386 2.3.1 with Excelan TCP/IP V3.5
and Xenix-Net 1.2.

About once a week more or less init dies.  After that of course the machine
slowly grinds to a halt and must be powered off.  I now have a script running
periodically which checks for init and reboots after doing a ps if there is no
init.  Ok that keeps it alive but why?

I've talked both to SCO and Excelan.  Neither has been able to help much.
It may be slightly worse under heavy TCP/IP load but then I've had it happen
on an idle machine.  There have been power line glitch monitors on the power
and we have run diagnostics over a weekend with no indications of any problem.
The only other clue is 2 kernel panics over the last 3 months "Free inode
isnt't".

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with some ideas either by email or
phone.  Many Thanks.

Larry Pajakowski
Abbott Labs.
...!ddsw1!abtcser!larry