Need Hardcopy Graphics under XENIX

The Super User root at crpmks.UUCP
Wed Jun 21 22:55:53 AEST 1989

Dear SCO XENIX Users:

Has anyone out there been succesful at obtaining decent quality graphic
output on plotters and/or laser printers under SCO XENIX 2.3.x?

We have had an ongoing need to produce simple business style graphic hardcopy
from SCO Professional and other graphic software under XENIX.  I have been
succesful at getting SCO Pro to display bit mapped graphics on Falco
terminals which do Tektronix 4014 emulation, but have failed miserably
trying to get our HP Laserjet and Houston Instruments DMP-29 plotter to
work with SCO Professional.  Without going into detail on our configuration,
suffice to say that no matter what I've tried, the graphs come out all screwy
and distorted.  I'm sad to say that SCO has been of NO help and now refuses
to respond to my e-mail.

I have found the lack of easily configured graphic hardware and graphic
software that behaves as advertized, a real stumbling block in winning
my company's trust and acceptance for XENIX.  I hate to admit it but this
is an area where DOS kicks XENIX in the pants.  Just see how "difficult" it
is to install and use Lotus 1-2-3 or Harvard Business Graphics and a Laserjet
on a DOS pc and you see what I mean.

I would welcome any e-mail or phone calls to my office if anyone has any
suggestions.  Salesmen are welcome to call as well but prepare to be
"grilled".  I will summarize whatever information I get and post it
to the net.   Thanks.

--
Gary Blumenstein,  UNIX Systems Administrator    //   CIBA-GEIGY CORPORATION