X Windows for XENIX?

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:56:42 AEST 1989

In article <3339 at cps3xx.UUCP> usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>in article <1011 at cernvax.UUCP>, emanuel at cernvax.UUCP (emanuel machado) says:
>$  Is there any implementation of MIT's X Window system for XENIX/286
>$ (say release 2.2.3)? And if so, how can one get it? And what's its statute
>$ (comercial, pd, shareware, etc...)?
>
>How about for SCO XENIX 386 v2.3?

Since there seems to be some interest in this subject, I will share
the information I have.

First, there is not now, nor do I expect to see a version of the X
Window System for '286 XENIX.  Even if one were produced, the
performance would be terrible.  I think the people that are willing to
spend the money on the software, the memory, and the video hardware to
adequately run X will have a '386 box.

As for XENIX V/386, SCO's X-Sight is supposed to ship yet THIS MONTH!
YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!  According to Dion Johnson at SCO, X-Sight will run
on both SCO XENIX and SCO UNIX for the '386.  Currently there are NO
versions of X available for XENIX.  As for other vendors, Bell Tech
has said they will be supporting SCO UNIX V/386 with their X port, but
don't expect support for XENIX from Bell.  Last year GSS said they
would be supporting XENIX, but they pulled out of that effort in favor
of supporting UNIX R3.2.  I do not know if they will be supporting SCO
UNIX or not.

As for a PD version of X for the '386, I have not heard of any.  Last
year, some of the foks from Project Athena said they would be willing
to accept the donation of a server that would support generic '386
boxes.  So here is your chance to get some of your software on the X
tape from MIT!  Write a server that will support a Super VGA card in a
generic '386 box and donate it to MIT.  Actually, since all the '386
implementations of X are commercial, writing your own server is
probably the only way you will get server source code.  The reasons I
can think of for wanting source include 1) fixing bugs in the server,
2) supporting new video cards, and 3) improving server preformance.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University