Using tar with the 'r' option

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Tue Jun 6 00:29:44 AEST 1989

According to frankb at usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell):
>I have used the 'r' option for tar to append additional archives
>on floppy devices.  [...]
>On other (non-SCO) xenix and unix systems, I have also been able
>to tack things on the end of file archives.  [...]
>I can't seem to get SCO tar to do this right.

I got it to work by specifying a blocksize of one:

	tar rvfb archive.tar 1 addfile1 addfile2

Of course, it *is* slow, but it works...
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!