Select(S) in Xenix 386 2.3.2

Ivar Hosteng ivar at acc.uu.no
Wed Jun 14 04:25:08 AEST 1989

I have experienced some problems using the select call in Xenix 386 V2.3.2.
It does not seems to detect when a pipe gets ready to been read from.  I also
have trouble using select on a serial port.  When I do that the input
turns into garbage.  This does not occur when I use select on the
multiscreen ttys (tty01-tty12).  I am writing a communication
program allowing the use of Norwegian (special) characters (they all
have values greater than 128), that resembles cu.  Instead of forking
off two processes to read the keyboard and the serial line I am trying
to use the select call to detect when a character is ready from the
keyboard or the serial port.  But when the select call screws up like
this it isn't possible to use the select call.  If anyone have a
solution to this problem I would be glad to hear from you.

Please email answers, I will summarize.

--
Ivar E. Hosteng,	Advanced Computer Consultans, Oslo, Norway
Internet:		ivar at acc.uu.no
UUCP:			...!{uunet,mcvax,ifi}!acc.uu.no!ivar
'Just what do you think you are doing Dave?'	-HAL9000