tunable parameters problem?

Peter Frenning pfrennin at altos86.Altos.COM
Sat Jun 17 09:49:36 AEST 1989

In article <27 at holston.UUCP> barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>Please pardon me if this is an obviosly naive question, but
>I am curious if there is some sort of limit on the number
>of times a single user can open the same file in SCO 2.2.1
>on a 286.
>My problem occurs when the vertical package I developed is
>running with 4+ users doing inquirys in the same masterfile.
>Problem: eventually the system will refuse to open the files
>requested for a particular user, no errors are generated other
>than those in the application.
>The files are RM/Cobol indexed data files.
>Is there some parameter I can adjust? I am nowhere near the
>limit of 300 open files systemwide.
>Since all the users log in under the same name to start the
>application, I suspect that I am bumping into some limit.
>All suggestions appreciated.
>
>Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {texbell,uunet}!warble!holston!barton
>PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton at holston.UUCP
>Lake Charles, La. 70602 | ----------------------------------------
>318-439-5984            | +++++ "Hal, open the pod bay doors" --- Dave

You are probably being hit by two factors simultaneously:
1. Every RM-Cobol indexed file is actually two files; a data file and an index
file.
2. Since all users log in under the same name the per user file limit apply, which is probably very small ==20 or so.

Thinking back I remember a third possibility; NFLOCKS number of file locks, this is probably it, due to Xenix/286's fairly restricted kernel space NFLOCKS is normally kept very small, and RM-Cobol is pretty lax with releasing locks, it even reserves a lock per open file, without even using it, try reconfiguring your system with a lower # of open files, more per user and more locks.

Good luck

|      Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose                 |
| I don't need a dis-| JackNet:        mgr.prodmkt!pfrennin             |
| claimer, since all | USENET:         pfrennin at altos86.UUCP            |
| my statements are  | VOICE:          (408) 496-6700                   |
| borrowed, and pro- | SNAILMAIL:      2641 Orchard Parkway             |
| bably already dis- |                 San Jose, CA 95134               |
| claimed by someone |                                                  |
| else!              | FAX:            (408) 433-9335                   |
|                PF  |                                                  |