SCO Support -- Good and Bad

TOM BETZ tbetz at dasys1.UUCP
Thu Jun 1 14:50:07 AEST 1989

Quoth bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) in <21 at consult.UUCP>:
|1. SCO does publish a listing of current xnx patches for all thos
|people on SoftCare Support.  We get one every month without fail.

I've been a Level II subscriber for almost a year and have yet to
receive one of these.  I have found out about patches on this
conference, and have missed some it turns out I need.
However...

|2. They do provide an SOS Bulletin Board for just this purpose
|for Level 2&3 Resellers and people on high level support.

And since Ross made the --More-- prompt optional last Friday
(thanks, Ross!) I was able to find the list of patches there
without being massively frustrated, and mail off a request to
support at sco.com for those I need.  I just wish they would find it
in their hearts to make the SOS number an 800 line, like the
voice support line...

|SCO may seem frustrating to deal with, but keep in mind that SCO
|XENIX has exploded recently (last year or so), and the number of
|customers is expanding greatly.  That creates a support nightmare,
|many of the calls being end-users (lack of reseller support, etc.)
|who are calling in with problems that are trivial (but important).
|All these things take time away from us people with the major problems.

As one of those end-users you describe, I have much appreciated
this support service.  SCO Xenix is a pretty damned good
UNIX implementation for the naiive-but-bright end-user, and the
fact that I have a reliable system running here without the
training course I wish now I had taken (and may yet) speaks well
of the thought SCO has put into the product and its support.

Any problem that interferes with the operation of a system is a
major problem to the person who has it.

--
"There are no magicians. There are no hidden     |  rutgers!lilink!upaya!tbetz
 people or gurus somewhere in secret. You have   | Tom Betz, Greyston Foundation