SCO 2.3.2, 386GT, UNIX ?

Ed Hew edhew at egvideo.UUCP
Wed Jun 28 14:00:00 AEST 1989

My comments are *not* to be in any way construed as official SCO policy,
they're simply based on what I currently understand of SCO's offerings.
[I don't work there.]

In article <321 at ghp.UUCP> nawien at ghp.UUCP (Nawien Sharma) writes:

>We are currently running SCO XENIX 2.2.3 on an NEC 386.
>We would like to upgrade our software to the latest version
>supported by SCO.

I know someone who did that with an "upgrade R-GT".

>An SCO Media representative told me that 386GT is treated as a
>separate product ( at $700 US) using a separate operating
>system and is not considered as a part of the 2.x.x series
>of XENIX software.

It is, if you want to buy a whole new runtime o/s.
Ask about the "upgrade R-GT" above.  It should take you from 2.2.3 to
		 ^^^^^
2.3.2GT.  This is different from "update R-GT".   I found out about
this through a support call.	    ^^^^

>Therefore, I see no need going to XENIX 2.3.2 for $195 U.S. when
>one cannot pay an upgrade cost to go to 386GT from XENIX 2.3.2.

The one you want is a bit more, not much.  I'm not sure about U.S.
prices.  It goes out at $369.CDN.  Supported clients sometimes
get a discount, depending on the reseller.

>Although SCO will support XENIX 2.3.2 and 386GT, I would be
>concerned that after having bought 386GT when SCO UNIX is
>introduced that no upgrade path is available from 386GT
>and I would be forced to pay say another $700 to get SCO UNIX.

I just read a new product announcement today stating that while
there was no easy update path, they were working on an upgrade
path of some sort, more info to be announced when it happens.

>My only beef here is that SCO should offer upgrade paths.

They do.

>If indeed SCO intends to pursue UNIX and feels it is
>the way to go for the future then I am better off waiting
>until the first version of SCO UNIX and upgrading from there.

That's supposed to be a matter of days now.  It's an additional
product to the SCO line, not a replacement for SCO Xenix.

Try either sales at sco.com or info at sco.com
One of those should work.

>I welcome any comments.
>--
>Nawien Sharma,
>UUCP:  nawien%ghp at mnetor.uucp
>BELL:  (416)862-0430

		--ed		{edhew at egvideo.uucp}

  Ed. A. Hew     Authorized SCO Technical Trainer      Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew at xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew at egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!