Load Average

Axel Fischer fischer at netmbx.UUCP
Thu Jun 15 18:56:21 AEST 1989

In article <411 at accsys.UUCP+ etienne at accsys.UUCP (Stefan Hauser) writes:
+In article <745 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
+>In article <2910 at netmbx.UUCP> fischer at netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
+>> Is ist normal to have a load average of at least 1.00 ? At my company we have
+>> a SUN 3/50 it displays almost 0 (around 0.10) when nothing happens.
+>  Not on either of my systems... on a quiet system I do see all zeros
+>from time to time. Sounds as though you have a hungry "idle daemon"
+>running. Do you by any chance leave vpix running?
+on my 386'er with SCO xenix 2.3.1, after booting. all shows 0 if i do nothing,
+but after heavy load, it goes only back to 1 and next time there are a lot
+of jobs, it stays by 2... seem like a little bug...or am i wrong?
+(there are always the same processes running, if no one is on the system...
+but the load average wont go back to 0...)

That seems the right answer. I have just installed OS Release 2.3.2 and it
all started again. First a load average of 0 than after heavy load a load
average of 1 and so on.

There is surely a bug in w.
Maybe SCO reads this and fixed it to the next release or it is already fixed
in 2.3.3.

SCO:
Thanks for fixing the select() call bug from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2 ! Now all works
correct - maybe me *countless* mails to rosso at sco has helped.

-Axel

--
Domain:        fischer at netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer