nap in Sys V

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.UUCP
Thu Mar 30 16:03:30 AEST 1989

In article <1989Mar29.185842.14146 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
:>>AT&T sucks for not having a sub-second clock interval.  Although XENIX nap()
:>>is anemnic compared to BSD ftime().
:>
:>Which, of course, means that SysV missed the boat.  Except for SysV R3.2,
:>which of course includes nap().

There are ways to get sub second sleeps in Sys V 3.[0|1], using a serial
port. I've had no problem getting 1/10 second sleeps on any of Bell,
Microport, or AT&T. If you're running an older version (pre 3.2), and want the
code, drop me a line; it's only a few dozen lines long. I didn't notice
that nap() was in the 3.2 lib; I'll have to look. Is that nap() as in
curses napms()? If so, even tho' you specify time in milliseconds, Sys V
rounds to normal sleep() intervals (in fact, that's what most curse's
napms() actually calls).

:>--
:>Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
:>A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
:>	  "It's no good.  They're tapping the lines."

Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Eng. Group -uunet!pmafire!dave- "Let's just look
at the extras on your new car - wire wheel spoke fenders, two way sneeze
through wind vents, stars and mudguards, chrome fender dents, and factory air
conditioned air, from our fully factory equipped airconditioned factory."