How to restor a level 0 archive?

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Fri Mar 31 07:46:28 AEST 1989

In article <16436 at cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com writes:

>I'm attempting to restore a level 0 archive from a set of floppies while
>booted from a boot floppy (V2.2).  I've tried various combinations after
>having done a "mkdev hd" and/or "divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i".  Some people
>have recommended using /dev/hd00 for the output device, others have
>said to use hd0n (where n is the partition).  The XENIX manual gives
>an example (in restor(C)) using /dev/hd1.

To save a root system and restore onto a new disk I do the following:

	1. Backup
		- use sysadmin to backup root system to cartridge
	2. Make bootable floppy
		- use mkdev fd to make a bootable floppy system
	3. New disk
		- install and format disk
	4. Partition
		- use N1 release disk to install partition and file system
	5. Restore
		- use bootable floppy to restore
			restore /dev/rct0 /dev/hd0root

I havn't had any success with using fdisk/divvy/mkfs from the bootable
floppy (I'm probably doing something wrong). But the installation script
from N1 seems to do the job reliably.

The biggest problem is the multitude of different options. Once you get it
all figured out it usually works great.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)