SCO Xenix 286 2.2.1 panics during backup

Jay M. Libove root at libove.UUCP
Wed Mar 1 16:07:58 AEST 1989

In article <226 at libove.UUCP>, I wrote:
> Oh dear, do _I_ have a problem!  I have a PCs Limited AT running at
> 6 MHz, with SCO Xenix for the 80286, version 2.2.1.
>
> I have tried using afio and pax to backup the system to the high
> density (1.2 megabyte) floppy drive, and both times the system panicked
> with a stack fauly some time before the end of the second disk was
> written out (not to a particular file or track/sector combination I
> don't think)...

 [ comments about how I could but don't wish to use 'backup' ]

> Does someone have any suggestions, or have experienced the same
> trouble with system panics? The only time the system has panicked in
> the past six months is during backups!

Well, I _did_ finally get so exasperated that I tried /etc/sysadmin
which calls 'backup' - the distribution inode-by-inode whole filesystem
at a time without choice of files backup method.

I figured 'How could it fail?' .... foolish me. It panicked, just like
all the other backup attempts did. Maybe there is a fault in the 2.2.1
high density floppy driver?

The only hack my kernel has (outside of number of buffers and system
name customization) is the public domain ptydriver, which I ran under
2.1.3 for a long time, and have been running in 2.2.1 since I
upgraded.

Again I ask: has anyone else experienced this? Any help at all would
be appreciated - I have 80 megabytes of largely unbacked up data, and
I can't back it up!

Thanks