VP/ix vs Merge

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Tue Mar 21 00:39:14 AEST 1989

> Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.
> Our company is a Level III authorized reseller and a member of SCO's
> Reseller/VAR Advisory Board(one of only 10 Resellers) and we have been
> informed of the decision to support Merge.

wait a sec...before you get people in the VP/ix world all worked up, let's
make a note that inclusion of Merge in Open Desktop does NOT indicate SCO
dropping support for VP/ix. The kernel "hooks" are identical and exist in
the standard Unix V.3.2/386 product. Furthermore, SCO stated at UniForum
that they were NOT dropping support for VP/ix. I have to admit when I saw
the Merge announcement the same thought crossed my mind, but SCO is on
record as saying that VP/ix lives, in the post-Xenix SCO world.

as for which one is faster/more bug-free/better supported, we'll see...
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim
      jim at applix.m2c.org