uucico problem (XCLUDE); also, 2.2 vs 2.3.

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Sun Mar 19 14:31:36 AEST 1989

According to chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal):
>Symptoms -- after "uucico" aborts, all further accesses of the tty line
>fail.  Subsequent uucico's note "line in use" as the error.
>Analysis -- uucico apparently sets the XCLUDE flag on the line.

Yup.  The SVID exlicitly states that the XCLUDE flag remains in effect even
when a devices is closed.

My reading of the SVID didn't give me any indication that a fixup was
possible, even as root.  I think it depends on the type of serial line you
use.  We were using Computone (now Intelliport) serial boards, which have
drivers which are eccentric at best.

>I guess the better solution is to get 2.3 running.

A hearty "amen" to that.  Ever since I started using 2.3, I've been
pleasantly surprised at its smarts.

Except, of course, for the modes of /usr/spool/uucp being 777.  Sigh.

A nice feature: getty looks in the /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file and
automatically sends the connection-is-done-now string to the device before
printing the prompt.  Thus if uucico died, the port still gets fixed up.
Also, getty creates lock files for devices that UUCP knows about, but not
for the rest (i.e. console ttys).

Hint:  After changing /usr/lib/uucp/Devices, disable and re-enable all ports
involved in the change.  Otherwise, the getty(s) in question won't know
what's going on.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!