UUCP performance

Steve Manes manes at marob.MASA.COM
Tue Mar 28 22:32:43 AEST 1989

>From article <601 at marob.MASA.COM>, by daveh at marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond):
> The following excerpts from the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file
> indicate that (for this particular session) the actual file transfer rate
> over a 2400 baud line was around 75 cps (well under a reasonable *1200*
> baud transfer rate):

I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.  According to a friend of
mine, he spent several hours sending files from his machine to a Xenix
machine in Texas and the difference in transfer time, according to the
logs of the two respective machines, was almost a factor of 2.  He says
he believes that it's a bug in the reading of the HZ variable.
--
Steve Manes            Roxy Recorders, Inc.             Magpie-HQ BBS
UUCP : {rutgers|cmcl2}!hombre!magpie!manes              (212)420-0527