Xenix login source

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Thu Mar 2 01:47:58 AEST 1989

In article <168 at biar.UUCP> trebor at biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>I am running SCO Xenix 386 on Tandy 4000 and 4000lx boxes.  I am setting up
>a special access system and want to bypass login; in other words, when
>activity is detected on a serial line, I want to spoof the login procedure,
>log into a specific account, and start running my program.
>
>Please tell me if there is an easy way to do this.  Once my user gets to

I was about to say RTFM, but it took me a half an hour to find the
answer, and I knew it already!  You didn't say which version of Xenix
you are running, so I will address it for version 2.3.1 (which is what
I am running).  I believe that except for the manual references it is
also valid for 2.2.?.

In the Xenix System Administrators' Guide on page 14-10 through 14-11,
it talks about the gettydefs entry.  Quoting from the manual:
----------------------
The Gettydefs File

The file /etc/gettydefs contains the information that getty uses to
setup terminal line characteristics such as baud rate.  The file is in
the form of a table.  Each table entry is divided into five fields.
These fields include:

label # initial-flags # final-flags # login-prompt # next-label [# login-program]

The fields are:

(we are concerned about the login-program, so I will skip to that)

login-program	The name of the program which actually logs users onto
		XENIX.  The default program is /etc/login.  This field
		is optional and is specific to XENIX.

		If preceded by the keyword "AUTO", getty does not prompt
		for a user name, but instead uses the device name (i.e.
		tty03) as the user name and immediately executes the
		login-program.

I hope this helps.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon