VP/ix vs Merge

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.UUCP
Fri Mar 31 14:56:29 AEST 1989

In article <2473 at netmbx.UUCP> blume at netmbx.UUCP (Heiko Blume) writes:
-well, at least vp/ix is allowed to modify the keyboard driver under xenix 386
-which can cause problems if it crashes or if you kill it. on the hann(g)over
-cebit fair i killed a vp/ic running procomm which caused the keyboard to f*ck
-up when i switched back to the virtual concole on which it was running. i had
-to cold boot the machine because i couldnt switch back to the other consoles,
-the response to alt-f* was ;c or something like that...
-i asked a guy at sco's booth and he confirmed that vp/ic can modify the
-keyboard driver. not very sophisticated...
-i'd like to hear from someone using merge if he could check this one out.

	Well, I am using DOSMerge/386 ( an early beta release, no less )
on Microport Unix, and have had no problems with anything like that.
The only problem I have seen is that the Alt-F1 through Alt-F4 keys are
caught by the console driver, and shift you to that virtual console,
before passing them on to the DOS program.  One then needs to do a
Ctrl-SysReq to get back to the DOS session.

	I have killed off several DOS applications, and there were some
that wouldn't die the first couple of kills, but none of them left the
console in a messed up state.

	Over all, I like Merge very much.  I think it does a very good
job.  Now I just have to get a full release version of it.. :-)
--
Eric Schnoebelen
egsner!eric at texbell.uucp			...!texbell!egsner!eric