Xenix Shared Memory Limitation

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Mar 8 00:42:24 AEST 1989

In article <141100003 at cpe> tif at cpe.UUCP writes:

>Written 10:37 am  Feb 23, 1989 by melpar.UUCP!toppin in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>>We have been assuming that we would allocate 21-65K shared memory
>>segments and just divide up the records into the segments.
>>We just tried a simple test and we can allocate the segments with no problem.
>>But, when any process is run at any other terminal
>>while the segments exist only a shell prompt comes back.
>
>Just guessing: I suspect that the shared memory segments are not
>allowed (why?) to leave real memory.  Memory must be real tight
>and the fork is failing.  (Get more memory)

I have to disagree for the situation where the OS is SV/386; I have no
idea what if any restrictions are present in the '286 port.

We have allocated 1M shared segments on SV/386 (Xenix), and that couldn't
have worked if this restriction was "real".

Xenix V/386 2.2.1 had some problems with shared segments (wierd things would
occasionally occur), but the 2.2.3 and 2.3.1 versions work fine...

(We have a game here which allocates about 1MB in shared segments when it
starts up; thus our extensive experience with this :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"