SCO & tape drive bug

Harold W Hankins hwh at cup.portal.com
Sat Mar 4 13:26:02 AEST 1989

I can't help with the tape problem, but the boot problem I can.
The program "/boot" on 2.2.3 has a bug in it so that on some
computers it just continuously reboots.  If you have 2.2.1, the
fix is easy, use the /boot off the 2.2.1 N1 disk.  If you don't
have 2.2.1 lying around, you're probably out of luck.

The proceedure is to load 2.2.3 normally until it starts rebooting,
then insert the 2.2.1 N1 and hit reset or turn power off and on.

After you get the boot prompt from the floppy, enter "hd(40)xenix"
and press return so it uses the kernel off the hard drive, but the
2.2.1 boot off the floppy.  Go into system maint mode, mount the
floppy (mount /dev/fd096 /mnt -ronly), and copy the /boot from it
to the hard disk (cp /mnt/boot /boot).   Dismount the floppy
(umount /dev/fd096), do a haltsys or shutdown, and it should now
boot off the hard disk fine.

Hank Hankins			hwh at cup.portal.com
Point of Sales Systems, Inc
Camarillo, CA