Need tape drive info

Mr. Jim's Own Logon jim at belltec.UUCP
Thu Mar 23 03:14:32 AEST 1989

In article <180 at fryepro.UUCP>, gary at fryepro.UUCP (Gary L. Scorby) writes:
> We have a Bell Technologies 60MB XTC tape backup unit, connected
> to our AT clone  which has SCO Xenix for an operating system.
> The tape drive has proven to be both fast and reliable, and has been
> in use for about a year.
>

> We tried a version sold by Bell Tech. but never could get it to
> communicate with the drive. When called for support, Bell Tech.
> told us that it was an old unsupported version that they had never
> updated. They allowed us to send it back for a full refund.
>
> Bell Tech. has been very helpfull, but we still don't have any
> software for DOS. If anyone has suggestions we would like to hear
> about them.

    The truth is out. Bell Tech does not support DOS. I knew it was too
good a story to remain secret. The only DOS tape software that we had any
right to resell is a multi year old package that falls short in many ways.
We usually recommend  SYTOS  from Sytron Corp, for DOS use of tape drives.
No affiliation with the company, just a good package and well documented.

Thanks for the good words about the drive under UNIX/XENIX; I guess that
DOS support will have to be left to DOS oriented companies (thank God).

Sytron Corp.,  117 Flanders Rd.,  Westboro MA. 01581-1030
(sorry no phone number handy)

							Jim Wall
							Bell Technologies, Inc