swapper cpu time on 286 Xenix

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Sat May 20 10:02:20 AEST 1989

In article <662 at marob.MASA.COM> daveh at marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:
>We have a few 286 machines running SCO 2.2.1, all of which exhibit
>amazingly high TIME values for 'swapper' on a ps table.  On average,
>the time seems to increment by 5,000 minutes per day, or so (ie the
	[ deleted ]

>Are these machines actually "swapping", or does the swapper just use
>a hunk of cpu time?  If they are swapping, I can't believe its from
>lack of core -- so what [if any] tuning can be done to improve performance?

As it was explained to me by a rep at SCO, the swapper will eat up any
excess time that is available.  I don't understand the 5000 minutes a
day, since there is only 1440 minutes in 24 hours.  Possibly there is
something wrong in the clock, but you don't have to worry about the time
for the swapper.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon