"TRAP" error in XENIX

Chad Gibbons chad at lakesys.UUCP
Tue May 9 14:16:24 AEST 1989

In article <495 at dekalb.UUCP> greg at dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) writes:
|I bought that $39 XENIX that was mentioned a few weeks ago and am having a
|few problems.  It is not really meant to serve any major purpose, beyond
|helping me learn more about the Unix OS.  In particular, I keep getting
|some sort of "TRAP" error, followed by a panic and system shutdown <sigh>.
|
|TRAP 000D in SYSTEM
|ax=0000, bx=0040, cx=0000, dx=0000, si=0039, di=544C,
|bp=0372, fl=0212, uds=0018, es=0047,
|p=0030:43BC, ksp=0358
|panic: general protection trap

	Chances are you have your AT running in the speed which XENIX
does not like.  If your motherboard has a selectable switch, switch it to
the speed it isn't currently at - more often than not, you will be
running at slow speed when you see this error; set high speed.  We had
this problem bother us for a few days until "oh, look this switch isn't
supposed to be like this."  Changing the AT back to 12Mhz fixed the
problems.
--
D. Chadwick Gibbons, chad at lakesys.lakesys.com, ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!chad