SCO Support -- Good and Bad

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Wed May 24 22:06:26 AEST 1989

In article <1889 at wasatch.utah.edu> kessler%cons.utah.edu at wasatch.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) writes:

>We have been using SCO for almost two years and basically think that
>they are providing a good service.  Most of the times, there is
>someone knowledgeable on the other end, who can help us get our
>
>However, it seems that the real problem is that SCO doesn't let us, as
>developers, know of all of the problems and patches that are currently

1. SCO does publish a listing of current xnx patches for all thos
people on SoftCare Support.  We get one every month without fail.
2. They do provide an SOS Bulletin Board for just this purpose
for Level 2&3 Resellers and people on high level support.
3. As a developer you need to acquire (if you haven't already), the
Softcare or higher support from SCO to get the level of response
that you are looking for.
..
With these tools in hand, you can do some of your own troubleshooting
and finding of most common problems.  you can even order patches
online.!!!
SCO may seem frustrating to deal with, but keep in mind that SCO
XENIX has exploded recently (last year or so), and the number of
customers is expanding greatly.  That creates a support nightmare,
many of the calls being end-users (lack of reseller support, etc.)
who are calling in with problems that are trivial (but important).
All these things take time away from us people with the major problems.
We have picked up quite a few customers who had orignally purchased
SCO Xenix from a "dealer" and then could not get support.  There are
a bunch of people "dealers" out there that just do not or will not
take the time to train their personnel and be able to support the
products they sell.  Thus part of the problems you are experiencing.
I know that Ross Oliver watches these conferences (SCO Tech Support),
so I am sure he will shed additional light on the subject.
   < Bob Willey >   Computer Consulting Service (301) 820-4670
                    Easton, MD   uunet!consult!bob