experiences networking *nix and dos

Jeff A. Bowles bowles at eris.berkeley.edu
Wed May 17 00:26:18 AEST 1989

In article <45100011 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>> /* Written by mackenzi at thor.acc.stolaf.edu */
>> /* ---------- "experiences networking *nix and dos" ---------- */
>>
>> My organization is planning to get some *nix 386's and we would like
>> to have them share files, printers and modems with dos pc's.  Does anyone
>> out there have experience with Xenix-net?  Are there any other products out
>> there that will do this, under Xenix or 386/ix?
>
>I installed 3COM 3C501 ethernet cards and Sun Microsystems PC/NFS software in
>our PC's to provide the PC users with transparent access to the UNIX printer
>queues (primarily the PostScript laser printer, but also the matrix and line
>printers).  They also have transparent *fast* access to virtual disks, which
>are actually files on a UNIX disk.  Much larger, and only the UNIX systems need
>to be backed up, since no critical data is stored on a PC's hard disk.

Also there is FTP Software in Cambridge, MA, which has [in my opinion]
an excellent track record, and with more hardware supported including
non-Ethernet devices.

As for me, I have Interactive's SVR3.0 with TCP/IP and a Lachman port of
NFS, talking to a couple of PC-clones running MS-DOS with FTP's software.
I had some Excelan cards sitting around gathering dust, and whaddayaknow,
FTP had a driver for it.

I'm having infancy problems with the NFS on the Unix side, but the FTP
TCP/IP for MS-DOS (I haven't gotten their NFS yet) is pretty nice.

	Jeff Bowles