SCO support (foot in my mouth)

USENET Administrator usenet at agate.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue May 23 15:04:56 AEST 1989

I have tested the SCO number given in a recent posting by Russ and have
had no trouble getting a working line whenever I dialed in.

I plead guilty to leaping to an erroneous conclusion based on a
misreading of the original posting by Russ and a critical comment by a
poster. I assumed that there was one 2400 and one 9600 line, a
configuration rather on the stingy side for an organization of SCO's
stature.

I was wrong. They apparently have multiple lines at each speed.

Influenced in part by the recent infusion of MicroShaft capital into
SCO, I assumed that SCO had started to act like MicroShaft. Contrary to
my leap-to-defamation, SCO is still acting like SCO. I sometimes think
it's easy to dump on SCO because they are responsive. You have real
live people to deal with, not a recording that says,

  All our dildos are busy now. If you want to speak with a twit who
  doesn't know anything about abc, push 1, if you want to speak with a
  dweeb who doesn't know anything about xyz, push 2, etc., etc., ad
  nauseum.

By the way if anyone wants to find out what it's like to be really
buggered (I'm going to England, and feel obliged to speak the language
like the originators) for "support", let me recommend NBI. My
department pays $7,500 a year for "service" alone -- which consists
mostly of know-nothings whose only talent seems to be gum-chewing and
jargon-spewing.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis