Create Lint Libraries?

+Urban J. jbu at sfsup.UUCP
Thu May 25 09:37:02 AEST 1989

In article <1989May19.152951.27404 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to toppin at melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin):
>>I have been trying to create a lint library with

On most UNIX/XENIX boxes lint(1) is just a shell script that calls lint1
and lint2.  You goal in life is to just call lint1.  Look at the source
for lint and you'll get the correct option.

The input file (proto_type.c) should just be a proto type file, e.g. like this:

$ cat proto_type.c
tyee(x, y) int x, y; {return (1);}
char *apples(pear) char *part; {return ("RC");}

Then when you lint it (first pass only), lint will create a proto_type.ln file.
This .ln file can be used by lint2 (second pass lint, that checks for
arguments/return codes, et. al.).

If you want, you can always just suppy the proto_type.c file every time,
this would slow down lint(1) because it would always have to recreate the .ln
guy each time.

Sincerely,

John Urban