"ps: seek error" - What does it mean?

Marc deGroot marc at mas1.UUCP
Wed May 24 12:28:06 AEST 1989

> In article <ADNAN.89May15155425 at sgtech.UUCP> adnan at sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
>Our Intel 386 box with Xenix 2.3.1 has a problem, and it is probably
>one we have inflicted on ourselves.  After the system is rebooted and
>weeds.  Maybe somebody could tell me what seeks ps does.

ps tries to open /unix to read the symbol table.  That's how it knows where
the process table is in the kernel.  The easiest fix is to make a link from
the booted kernel to /unix.  Another approach is to use the -n option
on ps (this is from memory - I may be wrong) which allows you to specify
which kernel file is used.

Another coherent emission from:
--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)			"The apparent stupidity of a bug
..!uunet!apple!mas1!marc		 is directly proportional to the