Adaptec and Xenix

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.UUCP
Mon May 15 04:48:39 AEST 1989

In article <1494 at hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

> 	I am planning the purchase of a large (150 - 300 Meg) ESDI
> drive and controller for my Xenix system.  I have seen several
> praises for the WD1007 ESDI controller, but a state purchase
> contract makes it much easier for me to buy an Adaptec 2322B
> controller/Maxtor XT4380E combination.  I would appreciate any
> comments/warnings about this controller and drive, especially
> compared with a WD1007/CDC alternative.

I'm sorry that I can't compare.  I can only offer the results of my recent
experiences.  I was trying to decide similarly, and ended up purchasing
an Adaptec 2322A (hard and floppy controller) and a Micropolis 1558 382MB
ESDI disk.  I found the setup (once I found out what jumpers to set on
the disk) wonderfully easy and the controller's instructions complete.
The controller and disk have been performing flawlessly for several months
now, with never a twitch or squeak.  I've heard (purely hearsay, of course)
that the WD tends to be a bit slower than the Adaptec (and expect to start
religious wars by saying so), but haven't ever seen any real numbers.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
:  Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California