Xenix Restore Command

Raulin Olivera raulin at tdl.UUCP
Thu May 18 02:10:50 AEST 1989

I just installed SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on a Compaq 286.  The previous
version was 2.2.1.  This was a "per gratis" upgrage from SCO.
While running under 2.2.1 we did our backups with a combination
of cpio and the backup command.  When I reinstalled 2.2.3 I
restored 2 file systems /root and /u from my cpio full system
backup.  At that point the installation looked fine.  I then
ran 2 restores from level backups that had been created prior
to the 2.2.3 install.  	!!!STEPPED ALL OVER MY /U FILESYSTEM!!!
It took me 2 days and 3 installs to figure out what was going on.
My final solution was to restore the system up to the point where
I did the cpio restore and forget the rest.  The system seems to
be doing fine now.  I will have to alert the users that they may
have lost some data.

I don't see in my documentation that the backup and restore commands
are not portable.  Unless I missed it.  But it makes sense that if
backup retains inode numbers and trys to use the same inode numbers
on a new filesystem that one might have problems.  Doesn't it?

Has anyone else gone through this type of grief or heard of any
similar stories?

		=Ralo->