Gnu Emacs?

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Fri May 5 01:02:22 AEST 1989

In article <8905041409.AA01880 at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu> ta-ari at CUNIXB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Ari Shamash) writes:
>Hello there, Networld!
>
>Has anybody managed to get GNU emacs compiled and running?  I have
>heard it is possible, but I would like to find out how difficult it is
>to do before I attempt to do it.  Does anybody have any advice?

I thought several people might be interested, so I decided to post my
response.

If you have XENIX V/386, you can get the GNU distribution and compile
it be just editing the Makefiles and config.h.  No problem except you
need a little disk space.  (The full distribution is over 8 MB.)  If
you have XENIX V/286, GNU Emacs is not worth the trouble.  It depends
on 32 bit integers, has a massive array used for lisp storage, and
would be VERY slow on the '286 even if you could get it to run.  For
'286 folks, I would recommend Jove or one of the versions of
MicroEmacs.

I've been using GNU Emacs as my main editor on a XENIX machine for
about 18 months now.  It runs better (faster) there than it does on
an AT&T 3B15.  If there are specific questions, please send me mail.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University