adding to the end of tarred Archive 60 meg tapes

Mark J. Bailey root at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US
Mon May 22 08:21:51 AEST 1989

Could somebody please explain to me how I can make use of the 'r' option
of tar to replace/add on at the end of a previous tar archive on an
Archive 60 stream tape cartidge under SCO Xenix 2.3.0???  I have tried
using the '/dev/nrct0' which is designed to leave the tape sitting where
it ended instead of rewinding it as it does under /dev/rct0.  What I want
to be able to do is be able to use the 'r' option to allow me to keep
a cartridge of various and assundry things that are desireable to keep, but
not enough so to keep on the harddisk media.  For example, if I get another
source package I would like to hold onto, how can I go about sticking it onto
the end of the archive?  What options should I use, and which ones shouldn't
I use with tar?  What about block sizes?  Where does /dev/nrct0 fit in to
all this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Please email responses.

Thank you.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________